Walker Books complies with the Australian Privacy Principles (“APP’s”) set out in the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“Privacy Act”). The APP’s govern the standards, rights and obligations around the way in which we collect, use, disclose, store, secure and dispose of your Personal Information and the rights of individuals to access and correct their Personal Information.
A copy of the APPs may be obtained from the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/australian-privacy-principles/read-the-australian-privacy-principles.
YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
“Personal Information” is information or an opinion, whether true or not, about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
Depending on the nature of the products or services you obtain from us, some examples of Personal Information we collect may include:
- contact details (including your name, address, email and phone details);
- network and device data such as IP address and device or advertising identifiers and information we obtain using cookies or other tracking technologies.
- information on prior dealings with us; and
- any other Personal Information relevant to the products and services we provide.
Sensitive Information (as defined in the Privacy Act) is a subset of Personal Information that is afforded higher levels of protection under the Privacy Act. It is defined in the Privacy Act to include information or opinion about such things as an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union or other professional body, criminal record or health information.
We only collect Sensitive Information about you with your consent, or otherwise in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Sensitive Information will be used by us only:
- For the primary purpose for which it was obtained;
- For a secondary purpose that is directly related to the primary purpose;
- With your consent; or
- Where required or authorised by law.
We will always aim to collect Personal Information directly from you, where practicable. When we collect Personal Information we will, where appropriate and where possible, explain to you why we are collecting the information and how we plan to use it.
This Personal Information is obtained in many ways such as when you interact with us:
- We may collect personal information about you when you request any information about us or our goods or services, submit your personal details (such as when you submit a request or enter a contest) and/or complete any forms on the Website;
- When you subscribe to our newsletter, enter a promotion or competition or participate in a promotional feature, we may ask for your name, address, and e-mail address so that we can administer the newsletter, promotion or contest, comply with regulatory requirements and notify winners; or
- When you speak to us over the telephone, we may collect your personal information and record the call for training and improvement purposes. If you do not wish for us to record a call you make to us, please let a member of our staff know.
If you do not provide the information referred to above we may not be able to provide you with the products or services you have requested or accept your entry into any promotion or competition.
We monitor site traffic patterns and site usage to help us develop the design and layout of the Website and may collect information in this respect.
A ‘cookie’ is a small data file placed on your machine or device which lets us to identify and interact more effectively with your computer and device. Cookies do not identify individual users or contain any Personal Information, but they do identify your Internet Service Provider and browser type.
USE AND DISCLOSURE
We may use or disclose your Personal Information:
- for the primary purpose of conducting our business with you, facilitating and managing our dealings and relationship with you and for any other purpose for which you may disclose your personal information to us (“Primary Purpose”);
- for secondary purpose closely related to the primary purpose, in circumstances where you would reasonably expect such use (“Secondary Purpose”);
- for marketing purposes (including targeted advertising) so we can send information we believe may be relevant to you based on your demographic information or stated preferences (you may unsubscribe from our targeting or mailing/marketing lists at any time by contacting us in writing);
- to seek feedback from you regarding your level of satisfaction with our products or services;
- for the development of our products or services to better meet the needs of our customers;
- to address any issues or complaints regarding our relationship;
- to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- to notify you about our new or existing products and services;
- to distribute material and general information relating to our products and services;
- to obtain products and services from our suppliers;
- to respond to your enquiries seeking information about our products or services;
- to pass your information to our affiliates (including, without limitation, companies within the Walker Books group) or certain suppliers or sub-contractors to supply goods ordered or information requested by you;
- to enforce or apply the terms of any agreements with you;
- protect the rights, property or safety of Walker Books, our customers, or others.
- if we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your Personal Information to the buyer of such business or assets;
- to undertake research and surveys and analyse statistical information;
- to conduct competitions and trade promotions; or
- as otherwise permitted or required by law.
In regards to Sensitive Information, we will only ever use or disclose your Sensitive Information with your consent, for the Primary Purpose or the Secondary Purpose.
We do not ordinarily disclose Personal Information to third parties. However, your Personal Information may be disclosed in a number of circumstances including the following:
- third parties where you consent to the use or disclosure; and
- where required or authorised by law.
All sharing of your Personal Information overseas is carried out in accordance with APP8 relating to “Cross-border disclosure of personal information”.
HOW WE HOLD YOUR INFORMATION
Depending on the circumstances, we may hold your Personal Information in either hardcopy or softcopy form (ie electronic), or both. Generally, the format in which we hold information will reflect the way in which it has been provided to us.
Your Personal Information is stored in a manner that reasonably protects it from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We securely store and process Personal Information in Australia, although we may utilise remote (cloud-based) servers located overseas.
When your Personal Information is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was obtained, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your Personal Information.
NOTIFIABLE DATA BREACHES
A notifiable data breach scheme is currently in place in Australia. We are committed to adhering to this scheme as an important step in preventing and managing serious privacy breaches.
A “data breach” means unauthorised access to, or disclosure, alteration, loss, or destruction of, Personal Information—or, an action that prevents us from accessing Personal Information on either a temporary or permanent basis. An “eligible data breach”, in accordance with the Privacy Act, occurs when there is a data breach that is likely to result in serious harm to any of the individuals to whom the information relates and we are unable to prevent the likely risk of serious harm with remedial action.
We take breaches of privacy very seriously. If we suspect a privacy breach has occurred, our priority is to contain and assess the suspected breach. In doing so, we will:
- take any necessary immediate action to contain the breach and reduce the risk of harm;
- determine the cause and extent of the breach;
- consider the types of information involved, including whether the Personal Information is sensitive in nature;
- analyse the nature of the harm that may be caused to affected individuals;
- consider the person or body that has obtained or may obtain Personal Information as a result of the breach (if known); and
- determine whether the Personal Information is protected by a security measure.
If we believe an eligible data breach has occurred we will, as soon as practicable, notify the Australian Information Commissioner and all affected individuals or, if it is not possible to notify affected individuals, provide public notice of the breach (in a manner that protects the identity of affected individuals).
ACCESS AND CORRECTION
You may request access to, update or correct Personal Information that we hold about you by e-mailing your request to Privacy. Alternatively, write to us at:
Walker Books Australia Pty Limited
Level 2, 1-15 Wilson Street
Locked Bag 22
Newtown NSW 2042
It is important to us that your Personal Information is up to date. We will take reasonable steps to make sure that your Personal Information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you find that the information we have is not up to date or is inaccurate, please advise us as soon as practicable so we can update our records and ensure we can continue to provide quality services to you.
We will not charge any fee for your access request, but may charge an administrative fee for providing a copy of your Personal Information.
In order to protect your Personal Information we may require identification from you before releasing the requested information.
On the rare occasions when we refuse access, we will provide you with a written notice stating our reasons.
We are not obliged to correct any Personal Information if we do not agree that it requires correction. If we refuse such a request, we will provide you with a written notice stating our reasons.
TELL US WHAT YOU THINK
We welcome your questions, suggestions and comments about privacy. If you have a question, comment or suggestion regarding privacy or the way we handle your Personal Information, please send an e-mail to Privacy.
You may lodge a complaint about our handling of your Personal Information by sending an email to Privacy. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may then lodge a complaint with the Australian Information Commissioner:
Post: Office of the Australian Information Commissioner,
GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001
Telephone: 1300 363 992