If you wish to use content from our titles and/or this site, it is best to submit your permission request in writing, via email, to email@example.com, including “permission request” in the subject line. Alternatively you can contact us on Tel: (02) 9517 9577.
As most requests need to go via our parent company in the UK, we estimate a minimum of six weeks from the date of submission for a response to be received to any request, but this estimation may be subject to variation. Please allow sufficient time for our response.
Walker Books reserves all rights in its publications – you may NOT assume if you have submitted a request that permission is granted to you unless and until we have sent you a formal permission licence. You should bear in mind that it takes time to process requests, and we do not always control all rights in the material being requested from us.
When contacting us for permission, please ensure to include the following information relevant to your request, together with your contact details, including a postal address:
- Exact material to be used – both text and illustrations – including page and/or figure numbers from our book (or please attach a copy of the exact material requested indicating its context).
- Commercial, educational or non-profitable – please indicate which category of usage is planned.
- Territory for distribution (e.g. local area, UK, Europe, Commonwealth, the World).
Please also supply details of the following depending on the proposed use of the material:
Publication – books:
- Author name and title of your publication.
- Is your book to be published in hardback, paperback or both?
- Is your book for educational or trade distribution?
- Name of your publisher and probable publication date of your book.
- Estimated number of copies to be printed and proposed retail price for each format requested.
- Approximate number of pages in your book and percentage of that number taken up by our material.
- Territory in which your book will be published.
- Language(s) in which your book will be published.
- Do you plan to re-illustrate?
Publication – newspapers/magazines:
- Publication date of the relevant issue of your newspaper/magazine.
- Approximate circulation of your newspaper/magazine.
- Territory in which your newspaper/magazine is distributed.
- Language(s) in which your newspaper/magazine is published.
- Retail price of your newspaper/magazine.
- One-off or serial usage (if latter give details as to frequency and dates for proposed usage)?
- What is the proposed download/yearly license fee for your website?
- At what market is the website aimed?
- URL/website address on which our material will be used.
- Whether the website is password protected or generally available to all via the internet.
- How long will our material remain on your website?
Audio/Audio-visual recording (e.g. tape cassette, CD, video, DVD):
- Will this be a straight reading of the text and/or showing of illustrations? (Please specify.)
- If illustrations are to be used do you propose a partial or full dramatization?
- For what market is the recording planned (e.g. commercial, educational, disabled)?
- How many units do you plan to manufacture?
- Where do you plan to distribute the recording (e.g. local area, UK, Europe, Commonwealth, the World)?
- Approximate length of the recording and percentage of that length taken up by our material.
- Proposed retail price.
- On what date(s) will the performance(s) take place?
- Where is the performance venue and what is the seating capacity?
- How many performances are planned?
- What is the exact nature of the performance / how will the material be used?
- Will there be a musical accompaniment to the piece?
- How many tickets do you plan to sell and at what price?
- In what ways will the material be used to promote the event?
- For how long is the event planned (1 week/month/year)?
Television or Radio:
- Is a straight reading of the text and/or showing of illustrations planned? (Please specify.)
- If illustrations to be used, do you propose a partial or full dramatisation?
- What is the proposed duration of the programme?
- Where will the programme be broadcast?
- What are the planned date(s) of broadcast?
- Approximate length of the programme and percentage of that length taken up by our material.
- In what context will the material be used?
- Will the material be sold as part of a teachers’ pack?
- Do you plan to include photocopiable sheets?
- What is the proposed retail price of the teaching aid?
- Do you plan to re-illustrate?
IMPORTANT POINTS TO NOTE
The above questions are intended as guidelines only to help with your permission request. They are not exhaustive and therefore we ask you to supply as much information as possible about your proposal.
We cannot give out author or illustrator address details, but are delighted to forward your correspondence to them.
Please write to them c/o
Walker Books Australia
Locked Bag 22
Newtown NSW 2042
Please note that not all authors or illustrators are able to answer correspondence due to the sheer volume of letters they receive. However, if they are and you would like a response, it is best to include a stamped, self addressed envelope with your letter.
Also note that it can take time for authors and illustrators to receive your correspondence, particularly if they live outside of Australia or New Zealand.
You can discover information on a wide range of authors and illustrators in the Authors & Illustrators section of the website.
Unfortunately we are unable to provide additional information for individual projects.
At all good bookstores.
We are not currently accepting submissions from un-agented writers.
We are happy to accept artwork samples from Australian and New Zealand based illustrators.
Please email a portfolio of 6-10 samples of your work in JPEG or PDF form (5MB size limit) along with the necessary contact information (name, email, telephone and address) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unfortunately, we are unable to respond to each submission. If we find that your illustration style may fit our publishing list, we will file your work for future consideration. We also ask that you do not call to check on the status of your submission.
Many authors and illustrators visit schools on a regular basis, but most are represented by a speakers agency and charge to do so.
We are only able to forward event requests to the author/illustrator, and generally do not become involved in organising the actual event.
If you would like to enquire about an author/illustrator visit, please email us at email@example.com.
Unfortunately, we are unable to make financial contributions to charities due to the vast number of requests we receive.
If you would like to request book donations, please email Marketing and write “book donation request” in the subject line.
You can view our backlist catalogue here.
Walker Books Australia has several character costumes available for hire.
Due to the number of requests we receive, character costumes are only hired to booksellers and festivals wanting to hold an event. If you would like to hire a costume for your bookstore or festival event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .